Saturday, September 4, 2010

Utah Book Bloggers Bash

     So about a week or two ago was the Utah Book Bloggers bi-annual Social. It was my first time going, I was a bit nervous and probably wouldn't have gone if Natasha hadn't DM'd me on Twitter, but I'm so glad I did because it was so much fun.  Thank you to Natasha from Maw Books, Becky from One Literature Nut, and Suey from It's All About Books who headed up the event! It was so awesome to meet together face to face and mingle. We had a little potluck, a lovely book swap, and chatted it up.

This is a picture of the book swap.
I'm not good at taking pictures as you can see, every picture I got
Graham from Graham Chops was either going one way or the
other. Both pictures I have he's straddling the books. eh. 
good thing I'm not a photographer.

These ladies were such a treat to meet!
Sharla from WinterWrite
(I'll be stalking your blog for your review on TGLaPPPS)
and Lyn from Barding Well

Matt Kirby with his ARC of The Clockwork Three
and 
Cute Bree Despain with her ARC of The Lost Saint


Now I like to think myself mature for my age. . .
But when I saw all these kiddos and that playground in the back, all that
hard won maturity flew out the window as I raced--yes raced each and every one of them
to the play ground.
 I would love to attribute the lovely bloggers to whom these rambunctious chicks belong
to, but alas I am at a loss. So if any of guys know whom I should link please let me know so that I may link.
I do however know that the cute little boys in the picture belong to the lovely Natasha


As much fun as it was meeting new faces
It was just as good seeing old and familiar faces.
This here my friend is author Emily Wing Smith who I met last year at
The Beautiful Creatures Signing
As you can see she's a hoot and a half.
It was there we became sister soul mates of the flip-flop. I think at the next shin-dig
I see her I shall bring her ridiculous flip-flops and make her wear them---
speaking of flip-flops  I was bummed Sara Zarr couldn't make it.


    It truly was a treat meeting everyone and seeing old faces.  I'm so lucky to be surrounded by such awesome bloggers, and lovely authors. Thank you, thank you, Thank You! (I know I'm missing many links in here for all who attended, please let me know and I'll add them)


Some memorable moments:
   Suey: (pointing to me as I arrived at the social) We need to talk
    Kika: (Uh oh. am I in trouble?)Are you Drew's mom? (a classmate and friend of mine)
    Suey: *laughing* That's what I need to talk to you about, yes I am!
    Kika: (phew, not in trouble) No way, that's so funny!
(me thinking in my head a conversation with Drew--- "Oh hey Drew! yeah I'm friends with your mom. We actually go to awesome book bloggy shin-digs together cool huh?"
    ----Drew looking at me as if I'm crazy. "Nice,  so you hang out with my mom. . . ")
  • Talking with Myke about all his fun adventures, the Polynesian culture, and of course the hilarious church meeting he went to.
  • Meeting Kim and finally being able to put a physical face to her lovely blog---and also playing with her kids
  • Everyone Admiring Debbie's cards---that were  truly lovely.
  • Everyone trying and failing to pronounce Britt's Book Habitue and then doing a double take whenever she did pronounce it right.

Fellow Chums who Posted about the Event: I know I'm missing people let me know, I would love to read their posts and link to them
    Suey
    Myke
   

11 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hi Kika, gosh, I would have loved to have been a part of this even if I don't live in Utah! Looks like everyone had a fun and memorable time.

Have a great weekend, Bonnie

Holly said...

Wish I could've been there! I'd love to meet you sometime. Maybe in February. Hopefully Angie can come too.

TheBookGirl said...

Looks and sounds like a great time was had by all :)

Suey said...

Love your recap! Especially our conversation! :) (Still waiting to hear back from Drew about what he thinks of our new connection.)

And the picture of the kids.... my daughter, who I call Toto on my blog, is wearing the serial killer t-shirt, advertising Dan Wells lovely book! What a fun picture!

So glad you came. And we'll see you for sure at the next one!

Candleman said...

It was good to meet you. I thought about asking at the party and decided not. Then when I discovered your last name I decided I should have. I had a missionary companion named Sion Latu. Do you happen to know him? Perhaps even related to him?

We served a bit in South Dakota together among the Rosebud Sioux.

Jinky said...

How totally cool!! A Blog Hop in 3D!! Hmmm, I should start something like that near me. --Thanks for the sharing the fun.

KIKA said...

Bonnie: That would be so awesome, I would love to meet you face to face :)

Holly: oh my goodness, meeting you and Angie would be the stuff of awesomeness!

thebookgirl: indeed :)

Suey: haha honestly, let me know what Drew thinks! hehe. And I thought that was your daughter, but wasn't sure now I shall link away :D
and yes yes for the next one!

Myke! no way, that's my dad's name! did his full name happen to be Sionne Limhai Latu? I think my dad served in that mission as well I'm going to call him and ask. wow! what a small world :D

Jinky: LOL i like that--blog hop in 3D :) and you should! It would be an awesome experience.

Anne Bennett said...

Looks like so much fun! I am warding you a Lovely Blog Awrd. Tkae a look at:
http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com
-Anne

Christine said...

Kika! What a mag blogger get together! How fun!

I love the connection you have with Suey. I'll be waiting to hear what Drew finally says about this. LOL!

Becky said...

I can't believe I didn't ever get on by to tell you what a nice post this was! Your pictures and wrap up are really nice. :) We have such a great community of bloggers and writers here.

P.S. Your blog looks great! Did you change your header? It all looks really great!

KIKA said...

Anne Bennett: Yes it was fun :) And thank you so much for the award!

Christine: :D seriously I want to see his reaction too. So good to see you again on here :)

Becky: hear Hear *head nod* twas a fun get together! Thanks and yes I did change the header :D Thank you!