Monday, October 25, 2010

They Don't Even Care About Us.


    I still remember the first time I opened the cover to The Hunger Games and lost myself in the dystopian world of district 12. I was disgusted by the districts, the life the people were given, the inhumanity of it all.
   Katnis and her will to do what was right immediately spoke to me. She was so strong and always tried to do what she felt was right. I felt with her, her heartache, resentment and struggle as she played the hand that was so awfully dealt her.
   There are times when music touches me deeply,  even more so there are times when it resonates within me the characters I have met in books. So much so that whenever I hear it I'm immediately there, marching next to the characters I've cried with, cheered with and loss with.
    When I was reading The Hunger Games I was listening to Michael Jackson's They Don't even Care about Us when Katnis was entering the games for the first time.
   Every beat of the song with the repeated verse of

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us


  I was there with Katniss. The fear of being there mixed with the hate and resentment that eventually won out with blind courage and disgust of it all. I was there, Marching next to her, chin held high.
I cried with her.
Loss with her.
The beat kept me going. With each double beat that was kept constant in the song I wiped the tears off and kept pushing forward. I yelled back with each stumble,

    Beat me, hate me
    You can never break me
    Will me, thrill me
    You can never kill me
  
Challenging the mayor and all else to bring it on again. 
I could take it.
They could never break me. 


***Warning the second video has graphic images that may be too much for viewers. ***





My Hunger song is They don't even Care About Us. What's yours?

3 comments:

Suey said...

I love this song! And what a perfect one to go with The Hunger Games. I'd never thought of it that way before. I love it.

TheBookGirl said...

What a fascinating post!

I am somewhat envious of those of you readers who can read with music on...it's something I just can't do, the same way I can't read with the t.v. on...

KIKA said...

Suey: So glad you stopped by! Glad you love the song :D

TheBookGirl: Thanks for dropping in! I come from a big, musical family where instruments were constantly in use and just the whole hub-bub of family life was one of noise :) I think I've just grown up with it. but there are times where I simply can't concentrate and need a nice quiet place to myself, so I completely understand not being able to listen to music while reading :D