Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Kevin's Point of View by: Del Shannon

 


 May I first begin by giving a big thank you to Del Shannon for being so understanding with me? Del sent me a copy of Kevin's point of View to review quite a while ago--- (I'm too embarrassed to say exactly when) But I was eager to read and review it. Unfortunately it was in the middle of finals. And between a move to Austin, TX for an internship in the spring, right after winter semester and another move in the summer to Vienna for a study abroad, time seemed to get the better of me. And now I'm back home in Utah getting ready to start fall semester on Monday (if that gives you any indication of how long its taken me! echhh I cringe) I kept on emailing Del back apologizing and letting him now why the review had not been up and he was completely understanding telling me that while he did want me to finish the book, school was important and to focus on my finals. Isn't that awesome? yes yes, it is. And so is he. And so here we are, and there you are, so lets get to it.

 
      Kevin's point of View tells a story of a rather ordinary twelve-year-old boy named Kevin Tobin. Kevin and his family are still fragile from the loss of their father in a mountain biking accident a year ago. Kevin copes with the loss by escaping reality into character's he's cropped up in his head.
    One day a package mysteriously shows up on the Tobin's doorstep that sends Kevin, his best friend, his sister and even her boyfriend on an adventure they will never forget.
    I think the most common word I've seen in reviews for this book is Strange. Which kind of makes me laugh--- I don't know why, because it was kind of strange. But it was a lot more than just strange. It was humorous, adventurous, serious, light hearted, happy and sad too. Looking at the cover I thought it would be a light go-lucky kind of read. Which it did have those parts in it, but it also had another side to it that had you thinking maybe this wasn't just a simple read through and move on kind of book. There were parts that had me laughing and parts that had me cringing. . . and parts that had me doing both.

"Kevin? Kevin, answer me," Mrs. Tobin demanded, her voice rising slightly. she waited five more seconds then pushed the key into the lock and swung the door open just in time to see Kevin's wet, naked body leaping out the bathroom window and into the backyard.
    Captain Tobin thought furiously as he battled the large swells of the north Atlantic. How could it have been the cook? He looked back at his rapidly sinking submarine and saw the outline of the traitorous cook screaming at him from the deck. In the distance he spotted an enemy helicopter, no doubt sent to pluck their man from the Fathom. It would be headed in his direction next.
    "We'll meet again," hissed Tobin under his breath. "But next time you'll be the one swimming home."
    "Kevin Alexander Tobin, you get back into this house this instant," Mrs. Tobin boomed, hanging halfway out the bathroom window. Her face was sunburn red and her eyes bugged out like she'd been slugged in the stomach. She watched her naked son run from the big maple tree, to the rose bushes, to the garden back to the rose bushes, and then to the edge of the deck.
    Mrs. Tobin snatched a towel from the rack, leaped over Betsy, who was laughing uncontrollably on the hallway floor, and ran to the back door. Reaching the door she yelled again for her delusional son to get back in the house before the neighbors called the police.
   The book had many twists and turns and ended in a way I never thought it would when I started the book (or even when I was in the middle of the book). I enjoyed the element of Kevin's imagination. At first I got a bit short with how often he went into his imagination modes, but as I read further and saw how Kevin was able to pull the courage he needed through the characters he created in his imagination I became more interested in the story.
   The adventure element was awesome.  It was action packed with caves, helicopters and trains. Over all? I liked the book. I think especially young boys would like this one.

    "May I help you?" the blue uniformed woman asked cheerfully when he reached the counter.
    "I just need to borrow a felt-tipped pen to write an address," replied Pudge.
    "Sure," the woman answered, pulling a black pen from her pocket and handing it to him. Pudge took the pen and, with a wavering hand scrawled on the fron tof the wet Package:
Devin Talon
1635 Maple Av
Black Hawk, CO 80422
    Finishing the address he returned the pen and slid the package across the counter.
    "this is going to. . . Colorado?" She asked, placing the package on the scale while straining to read the sloppily written address on the wet paper.
    "Yes," Pudge replied, his body turned away from the counter scanning the lobby.
    "Do you want this sent first class?"
    "Yes."
    "Do you need insurance?" she continued, running through her standard questions for packages.
    "There isn't enough insurance in the world for this package," Pudge mumbled as he continued his search of the lobby.
    "Excuse me?"
    "No. No insurance," Pudge answered abruptly, turning back to face the counter. "How long will it take to get there?"
    "Oh, about three days is my guess," She answered. "Will that be okay?"
    "Great," Pudge answered not trying to hid his sarcasm.
    "Good. That will be $8.75," she announced, placing the postage on the package.
    Pudge pulled a soggy $10 bill from his pocket and pushed it across the counter. Taking the bil she opened her cash drawer, pulled $1.25 in change and started to push it across the counter when she noticed the strange, wet man was now racing out of the room. Shrugging, she put the change in her pocket, picked up the package and tossed it into the outgoing mail bin. Almost immediately the address began to smear and fade as the ink ran randomly through the wet, brown paper. Within an hour the only discernable part of the address now read:
evin T n
    37 Map Av
B       , CO   8 2
    
    It was now the responsibility of the U.S. Postal Service to see that it reached its intended destination. Of course, it would not.


LINKAGE:
  BookWorm Lisa
  Reading Teen
  Oktopus Ink
  Reading Tween
  Dad Does
  Book Loving Mommy

No comments: