Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Divergent by: Veronica Roth


On these mornings when my brother makes breakfast, and my father's hand skims my hair as he reads the newspaper, and my mother hums as she clears the table--it is on these mornings that I feel guiltiest for wanting to leave them.

   It's rare I have someone to talk books with at work, which is why I love My sweet friend Rosana so much. We work together in the newsroom and I can always count on her for a good recommendation.
    Last week I told her I was in a slump and the next day she placed this beloved fireball in my hands and simply said, "You'll love it."

And I did.

    Here's the thing, being a dystopian junkie at times the themes can be overwrought, the characters too dramatic, a bit unbelievable and sometimes all out aggravating.

    Especially now with the burst of dystopias hitting the market, trying to find the good ones can be like finding a needle in a haystack. So it's quite refreshing to get one and find the world believable and the characters intriguing.
    Divergent is a dystopia Chicago where the people live in Factions. Each faction, Abnegation, Candor, Erudite, Amity, and Dauntless take on specific roles in the society so that everything works together. almost.
    Every 16 year old in the society take aptitude tests for which faction they fit best with. Then, on the appointed day, they each choose which faction they will spend the rest of their life with.

    I really liked Beatrice. In the beginning I was kind of worried. I thought to myself, not another annoying mary sue character that tries to play down her obviously good looks. But Beatrice was real. She was flawed, she was selfish, compassionate, immature and young. The journey with her was one I was glued to by the end of pge 8. At times when I got to see in her head or read her thought I was like, yeesh, that's kind of harsh, but hey that's what makes her her. . . well, and not me I guess.

  One of my favorite characters was Beatrice's mom. I really loved that woman.

   Will was also a favorite of mine:
 "What, did you do, memorize a map of the city for fun?"
says Christina.
    "Yes," says Will looking puzzled. "Didn't you?"
    I like Tori and Marlene I hope I see them in the other books.

   While violence doesn't really bother me too much, this one was a bit graphic. It was enough to have me take notice but not overwhelming so that it bothered me. Except for that one scene, yeah that one (you'll know which one I'm talking about if you read it) I was like whoa. no not there! really? yuck. ech.

   Eric and Peter gave me the creeps.


 Four, oh four was a gem. (and can I just say I knew it was him! I just knew it when he tells Beatrice about his past) I love the quiet way about him. He was a strong character without having to be infront and everywhere all the time.

    "You're going to want to march into breakfast tomorrow and show your attackers they had no effect on you," he adds, "but you should let that bruise on your cheek show, and keep your head down"
    The idea nauseates me.
    " I don't think I can do that," I say hollowly. I lift my eyes to his.
    "You have to."
...

    "I don't want to say this," He says, "but I feel like I have to. It is more important for you to be safe than right. for the time being. Understand?"
    His straight eyebrows are drawn low over his eyes. My stomach writhes, partly because I know he makes a good point but I don't want to admit it, and partly because I want something I don't know how to express; I want to press the space between us until it disappears.
    I nod.
    "But please, when you see an opportunity. . ." He presses his hand to my cheek, cold and strong, and tilts my head up so I have to look at him. His eyes glint. They look almost predatory. "Ruin them."



LINKAGE:
    The Book Smugglers
    Imagination in Focus
    Confessions of a Bookaholic
    The Book Monsters
    Reading The Best of The Best
    Fragments of Fiction
    

4 comments:

Lydia said...

I didn't even know you had this blog! You're so full of surprises :) I love me a good dystopia too - here's a good book: (not a dystopia though, although maybe a little) "Year of wonders"; historical fiction about a town in 1666 hit with the plague, and they all decide to stay isolated in the village so it won't spread. Told through the eyes of a maid. So good!!

KIKA said...

LYDIA! I love you. love love LOVE you! haha yes I have this blog too :) so glad you stopped by! and thank you for the rec! I LOVE to read recommendations :) and love that you love a good dystopia too!

K R Weinert said...

I'm looking forward to the sequel, I mean that ending was something...there's someone in her group after all that I so wasn't expecting to end up there! How's that going to turn out I wonder? Yes, very violent and usually I can't stand that, but I accepted it in this book...and I think I know which scene you mean!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Trying not to look too much at this review - I just got a copy of the book last week and have just begun reading it (page 82). I need to finish and donate it to my school library ASAP, but still not there.